How to Protect Your Makeup from the Heat
Summertime is one of the most anticipated seasons of the year for many people worldwide, being that it means more time is able to be spent outdoors participating in fun activities, wearing cute summery outfits, and enjoying a day on the beach. The warm weather seems to make everything brighter – except for your makeup, that is.
Applied cosmetic products are easily disturbed by warm weather – and so can your products sitting in your bathroom be disturbed, or even ruined, by humid, warm air. Today, Lionesse has some tips on how you can protect your look – and your products – from the heat.
How to Keep Your Makeup On Your Face
When you’ve spent an hour in front of the mirror making sure your makeup looks just right, it can be quite annoying to spend time outdoors for a whole 5 minutes and realize your makeup is literally being sweat off as you stand in the sun. There are some things you can do to avoid this from happening:
- Stay out of the direct line of sunlight – this should be done anyway unless you’ve applied plenty of sunblock to your face, neck and body.
- Dust your finished look with transluscent powder to set your makeup in place for the day.
- Opt for mineral based cosmetics, which are generally powder based, rather than liquid type products such as liquid foundations and cream eyeshadows.
- Use a finishing spray on your products after everything on your face has been applied.
- Spritz your face throughout the day with your favorite toner to keep your face refreshed and keep your makeup set in place.
- Use products that are light in texture and thin in texture to ensure even coverage and less chance at melting off your face.
- Use minimal products to begin with; opt for items such as lip gloss, mineral foundation or bronzer, tinted moisturizer rather than foundation, natural toned shimmery eyeshadow (light dusting), and lip stains rather than lipstick.
When it comes to keeping your makeup in your bathroom from melting, here are a few different tips to ensure your products stay intact and as is:
- Store your cosmetic products in a cool, dry location such as in a cosmetic box under your bathroom sink or in a closet.
- Keep your house air conditioned in the summertime, if at all possible.
- Keep products away from heat sources such as flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers.
- Keep your cosmetics out of your purse if you are going to be spending time outdoors. If you must bring something with you for touch ups, opt for powdered products or ones which can’t be ruined or melted by the sun. A couple of great items to keep with you are a powder brush, bronzer, lip gloss, lip balm with SPF protection, and lotion, aside from moisturizing cream. Waterproof mascara is another fantastic option for summertime durability and makeup application.